Washington Irving Monument

posted Feb 1, 2011, 12:08 PM by Spencer Hellman   [ updated Feb 1, 2011, 12:15 PM ]
The Washington Irving Monument was erected In 1915 the gift of an early day banker, merchant and Chamber of Commerce president, G. N. Wright and his wife. It bears inscriptions of excerpts from Washington Irving's ''A Tour on the Prairies".

Mr. Irving and Company visited this locality on October 14, 1832. The exploration party included the U.S. Rangers from Cantonment Gibson, now known as Fort Gibson. They camped that night about 13 miles west of this point, near the present town of Wekiwa.

Submitted by Roxanne Snider, Historian
Comments